A few yards from Sun Bowl Stadium, just north of the Stanlee and Gerald Rubin Center for the Visual Arts, is an often forgotten reminder of The University of Texas at El Paso's mining heritage.
One of the State School of Mines’ earliest symbols was the donkey seal. The image was adopted by the School of Mines to highlight the school’s mining roots and can be found in early school publications, such as this advertisement for
[Note: This post continues the series on the “Layers of UTEP History“] In 1960, a new administration set out to harness the overlapping local, state, and national impulses that had produced a mining school, stretched it into a city college,
[Note: This is the first in a series of posts on “The Layers of UTEP History“] UTEP’s story began at least a decade before the founding of the institution. This early period reveals two influences that would shape the institution
Published in 1916, The Crucible was the first college magazine of the Texas State School of Mines (later UTEP). The magazine sold for fifteen cents and primarily contained advertisements and articles related to mining and metallurgy, such as Professor F.H.
Fred W. Bailey was born in England in 1897, immigrated to Philadelphia in 1904, and moved with his family to the Panama Canal Zone in 1909. There he and his father worked to open in the canal in 1915, the