Viewing: liberal arts

University Avenue

By on May 17, 2013

As part of UTEP’s Centennial Celebration and long-term Campus Transformation plan the inner campus segment of University Avenue will close permanently on May 20, 2013. Because University Ave. runs through the heart of UTEP’s campus—flanked by Memorial Triangle and Leech

Making Room for the Liberal Arts

By on October 2, 2012

In March, 1959 Dr. Joseph R. Smiley, President of the University, moved from his home on Hawthorne Street into a home on Donnybrook Street purchased for $55,000 by the University of Texas. The home on Hawthorne Street which had long

Expanding the School’s Programs Through Graduate-Level Studies

By on May 24, 2012

The Texas State School of Mines and Metallurgy (now the University of Texas at El Paso) was established through an act of the thirty-third legislature of the State of Texas in 1913. This act determined the location of the school

Regional University, 1960-

By on March 6, 2012

[Note: This post continues the series on the “Layers of UTEP History“] In 1960, a new administration set out to harness the overlapping local, state, and national impulses that had produced a mining school, stretched it into a city college,

City College, 1927-

By on February 28, 2012

[Note: This post continues the series on the “Layers of UTEP History“] New aspirations for the tiny mining school surfaced as soon as it opened its Bhutanese doors in the current campus location. Unsatisfied with merely a mining school, El