The first dormitory for men opened at the School of Mines and Metallurgy (now UTEP) in 1917 and the women’s dorm opened in 1919. In 1920 the men’s dormitory was named Burges Hall the women’s dormitory was named Kelly Hall.
As the population of students at the Texas College of Mines and Metallurgy (now UTEP) grew the need for more residential halls increased. In 1947 construction began on a two new dormitories. The new residency hall for men was to