Viewing: campus

Historic College of Mines Films Now Online

By on August 22, 2013

On August 9, 2013 the Texas Archive of the Moving Image (TAMI) sponsored a session, El Paso Discoveries II, at the annual Plaza Classic Film Festival.   During the session audience members watched clips of historic film footage of El Paso

Historic Course Catalogs Now Online

By on August 14, 2013

Student workers from the Office of the Registrar are now scanning UTEP course catalogs dating back to 1914 as well as previously missing catalogs.  Currently, digitized catalogs from 1920 – 2000 are available online at the UTEP Catalog Archive: http://academics.utep.edu/Default.aspx?alias=academics.utep.edu/catalogarchive.  

Vet Village

By on April 5, 2013

On June 13, 1944, in order to offer an easier transition back to civilian life for war veterans, Congress passed the Serviceman’s Readjustment Act. The new law, which is better known as the G.I Bill, allowed veterans to pursue a

The Green Divide

By on March 29, 2013

Since the El Paso Junior College closed its doors in 1927, and the Liberal Arts courses from that school were transferred to the College of Mines, there has been a divide between students studying engineering, and the pedagogues, or “peedoggies”

Early Promotional Literature for the Texas State School of Mines and Metallurgy

By on March 22, 2013

After the campus moved to its current location following a devastating 1916 fire to its original campus near Fort Bliss, the School of Mines sought to publicize its new facilities and attract prospective students.  In addition to newspaper articles mentioning

The Arroyo: The Unknown Natural Feature of UTEP

By on October 9, 2012

Weaving its way through the UTEP campus, under buildings and roads, runs one of the university’s more natural features—the arroyo. The arroyo was created as water ran from the top of the mountain and hills downward creating a crevice in

Future Transformations

By on July 26, 2012

On Monday, July 23, 2012, Dr. Natalicio formally announced plans to transform UTEP’s inner campus from roads and parking lots into an inviting pedestrian-friendly space. University Communications issued a media story, unveiled a website showcasing the plans, and created a

The First Swimming Pool

By on April 13, 2012

As part of the College of Mines’ post-World War II expansion, the campus constructed its first swimming pool during 1945.  According to the October 13, 1945 Prospector, “Funds for the swimming pool – $30,000 – were raised by the College

Historic UTEP Plans and Maps Transferred to Special Collections

By on March 2, 2012

Sixty-nine historic building plans and campus maps all on linen were hidden among more modern blueprints in UTEP’s Plan Room archives. Realizing their importance to UTEP’s history, Javier Griego, an intern architect at UTEP, contacted Greg McNicol, AVPBA, who authorized the transfer