Viewing: buildings

Day 50: Holliday Hall

By on November 12, 2013

Today is Day 50 in the Countdown to UTEP’s Centennial Year. Holliday Hall was constructed on the UTEP campus in 1932 to meet the school’s need for a gymnasium and basketball court. The Hall was built next to Kidd Field,

Vet Village

By on April 5, 2013

On June 13, 1944, in order to offer an easier transition back to civilian life for war veterans, Congress passed the Serviceman’s Readjustment Act. The new law, which is better known as the G.I Bill, allowed veterans to pursue a

Early Promotional Literature for the Texas State School of Mines and Metallurgy

By on March 22, 2013

After the campus moved to its current location following a devastating 1916 fire to its original campus near Fort Bliss, the School of Mines sought to publicize its new facilities and attract prospective students.  In addition to newspaper articles mentioning

Josephine Clardy Fox Fine Arts Center

By on September 18, 2012

  The Fine Arts Department, previously housed in Cotton Memorial, was a small department with little room to expand. El Paso students interested in the fine arts often left the area to pursue the degree at another university. When the

The Union-The Building that United Students

By on September 11, 2012

    As early as 1943, there was discussion about building a Student Union Building on campus. The Student Association began to raise funds for a building but with the onset of World War II the building was deemed “impractical”

The Engineering-Science Complex- A Home for the Engineers and Scientists

By on July 31, 2012

The concept of a complex that would facilitate Engineering and Science departments was discussed shortly after the completion of the Physical Science Building. Consideration was given to expanding the Physical Science Building but the idea of a complex containing multiple

Geological Sciences Building: A Visual Link to UTEP’s History

By on June 6, 2012

The Geological Sciences Building has had more  renovations than most of UTEP’s other buildings. Its history is riddled with controversy and protest; a history with roots grounded in tradition but with a vision for the future. It seems fitting that

The Interesting History of Old Main

By on May 22, 2012

Buildings have stories to tell and Old Main, the oldest building on the UTEP campus, has more than most. Nestled against the mountain on Circle Drive, Old Main was built in 1917 and was the first of the original five

The Riding Stables

By on April 20, 2012

Located just north of Kidd Field, the College of Mines riding stables opened on September 29, 1945.  On opening day The Prospector enthusiastically proclaimed that “Mines entered a new era of big time in the world of sports with the

Regional University, 1960-

By on March 6, 2012

[Note: This post continues the series on the “Layers of UTEP History“] In 1960, a new administration set out to harness the overlapping local, state, and national impulses that had produced a mining school, stretched it into a city college,