Located just north of Kidd Field, the College of Mines riding stables opened on September 29, 1945. On opening day The Prospector enthusiastically proclaimed that “Mines entered a new era of big time in the world of sports with the opening of the riding stables …” Operated by Jack MacDonald, the pueblo-style riding stables also featured a ranch-style clubhouse – complete with a snack bar, beamed ceilings, and a red cement floor – which lent the facilities “a dude ranch air.” The stables included living quarters for stable help and feed and tack rooms, and offered private boarding for horses. Open to the public as well as to students, the stables contained 30 horses and 30 new western and English saddles in 1945. Students could purchase a one-hour riding ticket for a one dollar fee or a 12-hour ticket for 10 dollars. In addition to the riding stables, the swimming pool and golf course provided students with on-campus activities and became important parts of campus life at the College of Mines during the late 1940s and 1950s. The stables were torn down in 1958.
[Sources: The Flowsheet, 1946-1950; The Prospector, September 29, 1945]
Abbie Weiser is the processing archivist at the C.L. Sonnichsen Special Collections Department of the UTEP Library. She earned a BA in history from George Washington University, a MSIS from the University of Texas at Austin, and a MA in history from UTEP. She is certified by the Academy of Certified Archivists.