Run by volunteers from the Heritage Commission with support from the Office of Alumni Relations, The Heritage House has stored and displayed Miner collections and memorabilia from UTEP’s history since 1994.
The house was built in 1920, but wasn’t a part of the university campus at the time. Many people have lived in the house starting with Dean Steve H. Worrell and his wife, Kathleen. The Worrell’s built the house on what was then Kerbey Avenue.
The Worrell’s left El Paso in 1923, and deeded the house to the university in 1923. The House served as a home for many more families, including that of A.A. Smith, College Business Manager and Acting President from 1954 to 1955.
Beginning in 1960, the house was used for classrooms, ballet classes, special projects, and the Upward Bound Program until 1994 when it was refurbished to be used by the Heritage Commission, which was established in 1981 to collect & preserve the items & exhibits that trace the history of the university.
The Heritage House is located at the intersection of Kerbey & Randolph, and is open Wednesdays through Fridays from 10 a.m. to noon, and visitors are invited to take tours, view videos, search archives, and discuss the collections.
Jessica Molinar Muñoz is the director of communications for UTEP's Centennial Office.