Today is Day 67 in the Countdown to UTEP’s Centennial Year.
The University of Texas at El Paso has gone through a number of name changes over the years.
The school began in 1913 as the State School of Miners & Metallurgy. The school’s name should have read “MINES and Metallurgy,” but a clerical error gave the school it’s official name at least until it was silently corrected.
The State School of Mines & Metallurgy was officially established in 1914, and even though the word “Texas” wasn’t in the title, the school was commonly referred to as the Texas School of Mines, or TSM.
After still a few more name changes, we became Texas Western College of the University of Texas, or TWC, in 1949. In 1966, the words “of the University of Texas at El Paso” were added to the title.
UTEP came to be the University of Texas at El Paso in 1967, and though we know it as “UTEP,” the Board of Regents preferred the official abbreviation “U.T. El Paso.” The acronym “UTEP” was officially recognized and trademarked in the 1990s for marketing purposes.
Jessica Molinar Muñoz is the director of communications for UTEP's Centennial Office.