When UTEP opened in 1914 as the Texas School of Mines, all of the students were required to live in the dormitory on campus.
When the campus moved to its present location, the first dormitory for men opened in 1917 and a women’s dorm opened in 1919.
The men’s dorm was named Burges Hall, the women’s was called Kelly Hall.
Two new residency halls opened in 1936 – Worrell Hall and Benedict Hall – and they offered lounges, a radio, and plenty of room for men & women to dance.
When a rule was passed in 1936 that all out-of-town students had to live on campus, more dormitories had to be built – Bell Hall, Hudspeth Hall, and Miners Hall sprang up in the years that followed.
In 1972, 2 sky-rise dormitory facilities were opened. Barry Hall and the new Kelly Hall replaced the old dorms which were repurposed as offices and classrooms.
Miner Village opened in 2001, and replaced the old dorms. By 2010, Miner Heights was added to accommodate even more students. Both facilities offer state-of-the-art, apartment-like living.
Learn more about UTEP’s dormitory history HERE: http://encyclopedia.utep.edu/index.php/Dormitory_History
Jessica Molinar Muñoz is the director of communications for UTEP's Centennial Office.