Laura Hollingsed is the manuscripts librarian and archivist in the C.L. Sonnichsen Special Collections Department of the UTEP Library, where she has worked with rare books, historical photographs and maps, and manuscript collections for the past ten years. She holds BA and MA degrees in History from UTEP and an MSIS degree in Information Studies (Library Science) from the University of Texas at Austin.
In September 1914, the Texas State School of Mines and Metallurgy began classes in the three buildings on the old El Paso Military Institute campus located east of Fort Bliss. The buildings, designed by the architects Trost and Trost, consisted of a
In 1924, a group of prominent El Paso women, led by Mrs. Frank H. Seamon, organized the El Paso Women’s Association (Sponsors’ Club), which later became known as the Woman’s Auxiliary. The charter members, aware of the college’s increasing needs,