Posts By: Ashley

Ashley

Ashley Swarthout was a student in the Masters of Arts in Teaching English program at UTEP. She graduated in May 2013 and is now teaches dual credit at Chapin High School.

Don Haskins Center

By on November 6, 2012

In 1973, plans for a new12,000-seat special events center were included in a projected $26.6 million campus expansion proposal. Originally referred to as the Special Events Center and nick-named the “Haskins Emporium,” the building was to facilitate UTEP basketball games

Kidd Field- The First Miner Athletic Facility

By on October 30, 2012

In the 1920’s Dean John W. “Cap” Kidd began pushing for an athletic field for the College of Mines and Metallurgy (now UTEP). It would not be until 1932 that construction of the field would begin. The field was originally

The Complex History of Campbell Hall

By on October 23, 2012

What is now called Campbell Hall was once a three story pink brick building built in 1967 by the Daughters of Charity Saint Vincient de Paul. The Daughters used the building for a classroom and dormitory for the female nursing

The Education Building

By on October 16, 2012

    The increase in the student population on campus, beginning with the end of World War II and the introduction of the G.I. Bill, caused the university to burst at that its seams by the 1960’s. There was a

The Arroyo: The Unknown Natural Feature of UTEP

By on October 9, 2012

Weaving its way through the UTEP campus, under buildings and roads, runs one of the university’s more natural features—the arroyo. The arroyo was created as water ran from the top of the mountain and hills downward creating a crevice in

Making Room for the Liberal Arts

By on October 2, 2012

In March, 1959 Dr. Joseph R. Smiley, President of the University, moved from his home on Hawthorne Street into a home on Donnybrook Street purchased for $55,000 by the University of Texas. The home on Hawthorne Street which had long

The Shades of UTEP

By on September 25, 2012

  UTEP’s original colors were burnt orange and white, adopted from the University of Texas, and shared with UT San Antonio. In 1980 when President Haskell Monroe came to campus he found that many individuals desired to give UTEP an

Josephine Clardy Fox Fine Arts Center

By on September 18, 2012

  The Fine Arts Department, previously housed in Cotton Memorial, was a small department with little room to expand. El Paso students interested in the fine arts often left the area to pursue the degree at another university. When the

The Union-The Building that United Students

By on September 11, 2012

    As early as 1943, there was discussion about building a Student Union Building on campus. The Student Association began to raise funds for a building but with the onset of World War II the building was deemed “impractical”

The Psychology Building

By on August 7, 2012

Prior to 1951, the Chemistry Department was housed in Chemistry (now called Quinn Hall). The department quickly outgrew the facility and in 1941, after years of requests for a new building, plans for a new Chemistry Building were approved. The